Poll: Has this guide helped you at all?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting Adderall/generic amphetamine? A comprehensive starting guide for newbies!

Post Starting Adderall/generic amphetamine? A comprehensive starting guide for newbies!

If you want any help PLEASE post your prescription amount and routine along with your question when first asking! Thank you!

WIP. I AM NOT A DOCTOR, ALL ADVICE IS OPINION!

Contents: "control f the #### at the end to jump right to the section"

1. Just starting "bj69"
    2. Dosage "lol88"
    3. Routine "b00b5"
    4. FAQ "a$$9"

1. Just Starting"bj69"

Adderall is just a brand name of -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphetamine. When I refer to adderall it will imply all amphetamine based medications. I will go ahead and assume everyone here is also prescribed adderall for adhd or at least seeking options for their adhd. If you are in a different situation than that please let me know if you ask a question.

CAUTIONS!
    People react poorly to adderall more often than you think; If you are having a bad reaction DO NOT COME TO HERE! Dial 911 or call your doctor!

Bad reactions can be a huge list of things, here are some common ones
    - DEHYDRATION! On adderall every cell in your body begins a marathon, hydration is key to avoid bodily stress.
    - Light sensitivity. Normally fine but it can cause major headaches that can impair you! Driving, sports, walking... etc.
    - Any facial or bodily tic. If your cheek is moving involuntarily that would be a tic. Only your doctor can deal with this, sorry!
    - Appetite. Most users see this problem causing weight loss sometimes serious. Avoid screwing up your eating habits and snack if you can't do big meals.
    - SLEEP! Insomnia can sometimes form. For most prescribed users the adderall will tire them out before sleep when avoiding dosage past 7:00.

So your doctor has prescribed you with adderall? Whether you are new to the ADHD game or not, adderall will be a tricky drug. ADHD treatment is very speculative. The mechanics behind adderall working so well for ADHD is foggy and debatable, that coupled with its "street drug" side effects gives you quite a bucking bronco initiation and difficult long term use. Adderall greatly affects people with ADHD differentely than others with out it . Adderall to others can be a "little brother" to cocaine; however, do not let that scare you! To get those results, dosage would have to be well beyond "normal" (I would consider that anything 50mg <= but >= 0mg in a single dose normal). To anyone with ADHD adderall IS a medication. "The major neural systems affected by amphetamine are largely implicated in the brain’s reward circuitry." (WIKIPEDIA^20). The ADHD brain has a large problem with task focusing and seeing things through. It can show up in a plethora of different ways; all leading back to differences in the reward pathway. This shows somewhat why it helps, but I will be discussing exact details later, beyond the just starting section.

Here I will try and walk you through your first weeks, making it easier for you to determine your own plan.
    [WEEK 1 & 2]
    Dose should be pretty small, most often below 15mg maybe even up to 20mg. Normally taken between twice to three times daily. Effects you should notice usually only at first are: blood rush, "unstoppable", euphoria, sometimes slight hallucinations. Only reason you will not continue to feel these effect is due to adderalls huge downfall, tolerance. Usually towards the end of the first week you tolerance will delete those effects. You will come to understand tolerance and adderall through out this post (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_tolerance). The continued and beneficial effects include: ability to focus, better handling of single concepts, and when wielded correctly, a better chance with following through. On adderall you should always be able to focus and maintain your focus! Most of the time adderall will force focus but usually it is you that needs to unearth these abilities, due to a heightened tolerance. An unsharp mind and unhealthy body can hide the positives of adderall, the healthier the better. Towards the end of your week, pay close attention to your crash, that is if you even have one. A crash will come on slowly after the adderall starts to wear off. Effects can wear of in anywhere from two hours too six hours, everyone is different. A crash is not always guaranteed, which is preferred. A crash is usually attributed to higher doses, though it can be caused by failure to maintain the key healthiness.

It would be advised that after two weeks to go see your doctor for a change, unless you see your dosage working perfectly.

At the end of week two a pill should show:
    - 4-6+ hour active time. Including comedown.
    - After 15-30 minutes effects should kick in, noticeably.
    - A heightened ability to focus. | All of these can be mistaken as motivation pretty easily, do not make this mistake.
    - Lengthening of focus ability. | If you can not tell try harder to focus on a single thing and then try and quickly switch
    - A gain in mental processing for focus. | focus. If you find it hard to drop everything and switch, it is most likely not motivation error.
    - NO CRASH

Try and achieve the above results, never chase the "rush". When you chase the rush your adderall tolerance will sky rocket effectively destroying its medical affects on yourself. Talking to your doctor about this step will greatly help. Always keep in mind that it is you who will have the best understanding on adderall + you. It is up to you to learn and understand the drug you are taking as to fully realize its effects.

2. Dosage"lol88"

Dosage is very hard to figure out. Here are some tips detailing a universal goal.

- Maintain the smallest dosage feasible for yourself.
    - After taking effect length into consideration, figure out dosage quantity. (A 15mg pill lasts me 2-4 hours, so I take three a day)
    - Do not take it everyday, remembering this will create a betters dosage suited for productivity.
    - Make sure you are not crashing!

Best way to test your dosage is by GREEN LIGHT testing. Green Light means your doctor is in approval. There are two different way to effectively test. You can change the pill amount or decrease break times, both extremely risky. Starting with 5mg pills you can easily try 5mg, 10mg, and maybe even 15mg doses, or try 5mg with a four hour break instead of six. During this testing period you can easily screw yourself SO BE SMART and always remember that every pill you take your tolerance will go up and its effects are weakened.

3. Routine"b00b5"

Here is where responsibility comes into play. A STRICT ROUTINE IS NECESSARY TO RECEIVE FULL ADDERAL MEDICAL BENEFITS! A routine involves everything around your adderall and ADHD. For this section I will just list my routine for reference, later adding more knowledge upon reception. My list will always remain changing because I am still perfecting it myself. Please read all the routine notes!

My routine: "Sunday - Wednesday"
    - 100mg Curcumin once a day in the morning with food.
    - 250mg Magnesium in the morning with food.
    - Morning food. (Usually small, preferably with fruit for sugar)
    - 15mg adderall between 9am and 12pm.
    - WATER!
    - 15mg adderall between 1pm and 3.
    - Lunch or any food directly after second pill.
    - 250mg Magnesium with lunch.
    - WATER!
    - 15mg adderall between 3pm and 6.
    - Food directly after third pill.
    - WATER!
    - ~5mg Melatonin every night.
    - Sleep! (I only sleep after I know I have come down)

The weekends I do not take ANY adderall. I would advise having a block of two or three days where you refrain from taking adderall. Adderall DOES have a hangover. Having only one day absent of adderall will lead to a harsh hangover on the day off, as well as dragging the hangover into adderal days. A block of two or three days allows yourself to get over the hangover before continuing on; moreover, giving you a step up on tolerance. I went from 10mg2x/day to 10mg3x/day to 15mg2x/day to 15mg3x/day. That all happened in a month, after increasing total dosage to 45mg/day I decided to do a little research. Three months later and a slightly tweaked routine I been able to maintain 15mg3x/day perfectly. You should know yourself enough by now to have a basic understanding of what you need, remeber not to let adderall cloud that vision.

4. FAQ"a$$9"

WIP! Will add after thread grows.

Thank you so much for reading, I can only hope this will help! REMEMBER EVERYTHING ITT IS OPINION
    Last edited by honorface; 14-Nov-2011 at 12:11 AM.

nilesbearsfan

ADHD Medication Help Needed

I have discovered that these forums can be a very effective way to get honest and valuable information from others who actually suffer through the same thing that I do each and every day.

I was medically separated from the Air Force in 2007 with a Bi-Polar II and ADHD diagnosis which was determined to be service-connected. I have tried numerous medications over the years and I thought that I had found a suitable combination until just recently. I was put on Adderall and Prozac. I take 40mg per day of Prozac which I use to offset some of my mood swings, help with a little anxiety, and stabilize my impulses. The Adderall was to help me increase my attention and focus, help me become more organized at work and elevate my mood (which it did for a while.) I started out by taking 15mg (once daily) of generic Adderall (peach round pill) because I don't have insurance that covers Adderall for adults over 18. It was a very nice combination for the first few weeks, then I felt less and less of an effect from the Adderall. Accordingly I had my dosage increased to 20mg once daily. I truly didn't notice a difference. I am now at 30mg (double what I started with back in July 2011) and I am concerned that I have now developed a tolerance. My phychiatrist insists that I can't develop a tolerance but that is a bunch of BS in my opinion. I am very health conscience. I exercise 6 days a week, eat very healthy and want to take care of my heart, but also improve the quality of my life; and I know that there is a trade-off to acheive that balance which I have accepted. I have had blood work done and an EKG performed and eveything came back great. I hadn't suffered from some of the marque side effects of Adderall until just recently. The initial "take off" feeling you get when it first kicks into gear only lasts about an hour now and then wears off. I feel exhausted all the time now, and even when I am on the Adderall I sometimes feel drained. I sleep enough, stay hydrated, eat healthy and don't live a stressful lifestyle so I really can't explain it. In order to get the best advise, here is a bit about me:

I am 27, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs.

I am 6'2" 180 lbs

Overall very good health

So the quesions that I have for all of you knowledgable and experienced members of the ADD Forums:

1. Would I benefit from the generic Adderall XR if I can get it?
    2. Would Dexedrine, Vyvanse or other be a better fit for someone like me?
    3. Should I be worried about the continuous increase in required dosage to maintain beneficial effects of the generic Adderall (i.e. for my size am I still at a reasonable dosage level)?

The most debilitating symptoms I am trying to overcome with my Bi-Polar II and ADHD are:

- Poor attention span (lack of attention to detail)
    - Inability to focus
    - Severe and explosive mood swings (don't want my kids to see their daddy acting like a 8 year old that got put in a timeout.)
    - Moderate Fatigue/ Sleepiness
    - Impulsiveness (spending money/ not able to rationalize or put things in perspective.)

I know that was a lot, but I know that there are many out there who are in a position similar to mine who have found a successful treatment plan to manage their symptoms. Please advise and thank you in advance for any advise you can offer!

Hello nilesbearsfan!

1. Would I benefit from the generic Adderall XR if I can get it?
    2. Would Dexedrine, Vyvanse or other be a better fit for someone like me?
    3. Should I be worried about the continuous increase in required dosage to maintain beneficial effects of the generic Adderall (i.e. for my size am I still at a reasonable dosage level)?
    1. XR is Adderalls 'thing'. There is no generic equivalent that I know of.
    2. With ADHD medication, if you have time and money to try a variety of types/brands, do it! You will never know how it will work for yourself until you take it and really no one but yourself will be able to tell you if they are better for you than adderall.
    3. 30mg a day is totally fine! That is still well in the range of safe.

Two routes I think would work better for you than your current 30mg once a day:

15mg x3/day
    (snap 30mg in half for 15mg)

or

20mg x2/day

I am very glad that you at least understand tolerance, unlike your doctor who certified to give medical advice -_-. If you do attempt a dosing similar to this it will be absolutely necessary to begin a routine. W/o one tolerance will always win!

psychdude
    Quote Originally Posted by honorface View Post
    Hello nilesbearsfan!

1. XR is Adderalls 'thing'. There is no generic equivalent that I know of.
    Actually, there is now a generic version of Adderall XR. It's actually a funny story since the company that make Adderall acquired the small company that started producing the generic, so the pills are made by the same company, in the same factory, in the exact same manner. The generic is called Mixed Amphetamine Salts XR. It's a pretty recent development, and since they're both made by the same company, the price break isn't as steep as is usual with generics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 30 caps of generic runs about $180 and brand name is in the mid $200's.

Validated User
    Quote Originally Posted by psychdude View Post
    Actually, there is now a generic version of Adderall XR. It's actually a funny story since the company that make Adderall acquired the small company that started producing the generic, so the pills are made by the same company, in the same factory, in the exact same manner. The generic is called Mixed Amphetamine Salts XR. It's a pretty recent development, and since they're both made by the same company, the price break isn't as steep as is usual with generics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 30 caps of generic runs about $180 and brand name is in the mid $200's.

I'm not sure how the system in America works (i like in Australia) but my friend's Dad is a chemist, he is very wealthy and he became this way by making generics of brand names and selling them back to the brand name companies.. it's a multi million dollar business, so quite normal :P

jend

Lightbulb Thank You for your insight. I wish most Dr's would take the time you did, to help.

Thank You for your insight. I wish most Dr's would take the time you did, to help. Drugs are already scary & with no clear understanding, super confusing. Alot of people really want constructive aids when they are deficient in some areas, not BS "crutches" or quick fixes. Thank you, friend.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by psychdude View Post

Wait wait... 200usd for a gram of plain old speed, that the euro party scene slings for 1-5 eur after it's been passed through 10 different dealers' hands?! God that's bold. I mean this substance is EXTREMELY cheap to produce... Just sad.

Newly Registered User

Thinking of moving from once a day to twice a day...

I am thinking of moving from 5mg of Adderall once a day to 5mg twice a day - I have been taking my dose at 11 am (more or less, I have an alarm set on my cell phone and sometimes I hear it and think, "oh, yeah" and promptly forget :P Sometimes remembering a few hours later and sometimes not...)

I feel like I ought to move to twice a day - my symptoms seem to come back at various times and I don't seem to notice until they've become full-blown. I carry them with me so I can/could take them when I realize my symptoms are surfacing, which I do sometimes manage to do)

I should also mention that I take 100mg of Lamotrigine once a day as well - I take it at 11 am along with the Adderall - so the same irregularities apply.

I am wondering if I need to change the time of day if I move to taking the Adderall twice a day? It might be worth mentioning that my lifestyle/career involve me sleeping until 9 or 10 am and staying up until midnight or later.

I have been diagnosed with ADD - I will turn 50 in November. I have been on this regimen off and on since 2004 - I have had a couple 6 mo - 1 yr lapses due to lack of insurance and motivation to find alternative methods of acquiring my prescriptions. I am pretty happy/satisfied with my current regimen except the aforementioned desire to adjust my dosage. (I should mention that my doctor has approved me for 10mg of Adderall a day, but I break them in half currently because I don't want to take too much if I don't need it. He knows this and has told me to take the other half if I feel I need it. I'm just looking for your take on that idea.)

A bit of history that might be helpful;

After I moved out of the house and went to college I began self-medicating with coffee and cigarettes and had a brief period of self-medicating with "mini thins" - this lasted just over a year and I lost a significant amount of weight and in retrospect, I believe I was over-dosing because I was so happy to have the focus and motivation that had escaped me most of my life. However, I began to get scared, asked a few doctors some questions and discontinued taking them, mostly, but kept a bottle around which I used only occasionally for a few years until they were gone.

I was diagnosed in the early 90s with bipolar w/manic tendancies, but the medication for that diagnosis wasn't really helping and I believe, actually making me worse (with more depression, anxiety and feelings of being overwhelmed and no effect on my mania).

By about 1996 I self-diagnosed with ADD after reading the Time Magazine article "Discombobulated?" and was able to convince my doctor that this was possibly a more accurate diagnosis. He prescribed Ritalin and later added Prozac - I felt this was a wacky combination and flushed them all down the toilet and went un-medicated until 2004 essentially riding my manic "high" and burning myself out until I once again sought help.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - let me know if you feel you need more information.

Thanks in advance,

Cyn

Newly Registered User

addendum

Quote Originally Posted by Sque1ched View Post
    I was diagnosed in the early 90s with bipolar w/manic tendancies, but the medication for that diagnosis wasn't really helping and I believe, actually making me worse (with more depression, anxiety and feelings of being overwhelmed and no effect on my mania).
    I forgot to mention that the meds I was prescribed during this period were Paxil, Lexapro, Welbutrin and possibly another one or two that I cannot recall - but all seemed ineffective and/or seemed detrimental.

Unregistered

Help ?

I've looked everywhere but nobody has really Answered my question .. Today was my first time taking adderall (20mg) I was so happy 2 hours . Then I was super angry, and also randomly sad. I tookit bc I wanted to not because I need to. 100lbs 5'3 . Will I not crash like that again if I take a smaller dose ? Or is it ganna be the same ?

+ Reply to Thread